The Bastion of gray stone, located on the slopes of Mount Rocchetta, is a symbol of Riva del Garda, dominating the town and the lake.
Built in the early sixteenth century, at the end of the Venetian domination of Riva del Garda, in order to ensure greater safety to the underlying village and its inhabitants, it was then destroyed in 1703 by French troops led by General Vendome which undermined the central body, thus making the fort unusable.
The Bastion with age has lost its original military function, but has preserved its severe appearance. It has recently undergone a restoration, followed by the Superintendence for Architectural Heritage of the Autonomous Province of Trento.
(source: Garda Trentino)