trekking-etc

Ruin

OLD FORTE CASARA

Altitude: 892 m


Batteria Casara

Forte Casara was built in the years 1882-1884 to control the passage from the north towards the Val d'Adige. It housed 95 soldiers, NCOs and officers, and it was armed with 90mm M75 guns.
In 1915 it had lost its strategic value, being now unfit to bear the brunt of modern artillery. So it was disarmed and destroyed, and under its foundations were built 2 batteries in pillbox.
Few traces remain of the old fort masonry, while the batteries in the cave, now dismantled, were walled up for the possible danger of collapse.

(source: Ecomuseo Argentario)

Copyright © 2010-2021 trekking-etc - All rights reserved
Developed by gb-ing, powered by etc-cms

terms of use - disclaimer - privacy and cookies

23215734