It is presumable that at the narrowing of River Sarca there was a crossing point, and that the ancient route to Laghel passed here, to avoid the insecure valley, often devastated by the floods of the river.
The original bridge was destroyed in antiquity: the present, in its Roman form, dates back to 1719, as is evidenced by the plaque at the summit of the bridge:
The bridge was later demolished during the Third Italian War of Independence, to prevent the advance towards the Ledro Valley of Garibaldi, who, however, never arrived at Riva del Garda.
The Authorities of the Austrian Empire, as a result of the protests of the locals, reconstructed the bridge in 1868 and on that occasion a new plaque was affixed:
(source: Comune di Dro)